Ok, so I’m slowly getting used to the Windows 8+ tiles mode for the start screen, and I’m admittedly preferring it to the old start menu, or the full blow ‘all apps’ view that’s available as of Windows 8.1.
But wouldn’t it be nice if we could make the tiles smaller?
This is actually an option, but quite a hidden option.
This is my tiles view before:
And here is what they look like after:
How do I do it? ..you may ask
- Open your charms (put your mouse in one of the left corners, or slide your finger from the right edge of the screen, inward).
- Select Settings
- Select Tiles
- Select Show More Tiles
Note: This only applies if you select ‘settings’ whilst in ‘Tiles View’ (i.e. not in desktop mode)
I hope this helps someone :)
- Start Menu to return in Windows 8.2 codenamed Threshold (geek.com)
- Microsoft looking to bring back the Start Menu to Windows 8 in future update (wpcentral.com)
- Don’t be Afraid to Switch to Windows 8 (primetechus.com)
- The Start Button – Start Menu Duo Will Be Back to Save Windows (news.softpedia.com)
- Worst Windows 8.1 annoyances and how to fix them (nbcnews.com)
- Upcoming Windows Release Could Include New Start Menu, Windowed Metro Applications (hothardware.com)
- Further changes coming in Windows “Threshold”, may include Start menu (winsupersite.com)
- Forum Post: All Start Screen tiles have shrunk on XPS 12 after upgrading to Windows 8.1 (en.community.dell.com)
- Give life to your WordPress sites Pinned Live Tiles in IE11 and Windows 8.1 (windowsobserver.com)
- How to Put Shortcut Icons on the Home Page in Windows 8 (smallbusiness.chron.com)