Following the logs and the help file got me nowhere, and neither did searching all over the internet for instructions on how to uninstall this using a tool or the registry or whatever.
Disabling the program compatibility service also does not work.
It turns out that setup.exe was marked to run in Compatibility Mode, which is what was stopping me from uninstalling.
So my mission was now to find where the uninstall package actually is on my hard drive and to check what the compatibility settings are.
This is simple: (instructions are for uninstalling on Windows 8)
- Run the uninstaller until it fails
- Go to task manager
- Call up the context menu for the installer process (right-click)
- Select ‘open file location’
- This will open the package folder
- Call up the context menu for the uninstaller executable
- Select the ‘compatibility’ tab
- Disable all compatibility settings over here
- ~the end~
I hope this helps someone!