Visual Studio 2012/2013 Page Inspector fails with “Object reference not set to an instance of an object”


I’ve had this problem for as long as I can recall.  My page inspector in Visual Studio 2012 never worked… which normally would have been ok, since I could always do the old-school edit+save+refresh routine… but when you know that the feature exists, it is a bugger that it doesn’t work.

I tried everything, from disabling all my extensions and add-ons, to hooking up a debugger to my devenv process… to the obvious google-and-bing-fu manic searches… but got nothing.

If you check your ActivityLog.xml, you will see that Page Inspector is blowing up with a NullReferenceException… no surprise there.

After installing VS2013 I hoped that all of this would go away, but I got the same error.

Page Inspector fails with Object reference not found
Page Inspector fails with Object reference not found

Finally, I had the great brain wave of setting Internet Explorer as my default browser and restarting Visual Studio (I’m a chrome user).

…and voilà… page inspector finally works :(

One would think that by this time, this whole thing about being wired-in to Internet Explorer was a thing of the past… clearly it is not.

I’ve filed a bug report accordingly on Microsoft Connect.

DM2S63MFEY9G

Advertisements