If for some reason you want to disable your USB ports, maybe for security reasons, you can do this with a simple registry hack.
- Launch your registry editor, by pressing WIN+R and typing regedit.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor
- Change the value of the start key to 4
- Reboot your machine
Your USB ports will now be disabled completely.
If, like me, you do not really like the Metro-styled Windows 8 start menu, you can restore the Window 7 classic style menu with a simple registry tweak, as follows
- Run ‘regedit‘ from your WIN+R dialog
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
- Set RPEnabled to 0
- Reboot :)
The inverse (setting to 1) will restore your metro-styled ui.
Do note that this will disable Metro!